I give a hat-tip to a comment from Jim Lange for the research below.
According to this website and other research, freeze-dried acai berry supposedly has an anti-oxidant value of 102,700 per 100g. This is also the number that MonaVie’s Dr. Alex Schauss has referenced in the past. This number may be debated, but for sake of this article, let’s give MonaVie the benefit of the doubt and assume this fact to be true.
The AIBMR study done by Dr. Alex Schauss concludes “the total antioxidant capacity of the JB (i.e. MonaVie) measured by ORAC is 22.8 umol/mL.” AIBMR’s research is sponsored by MonaVie and done by MonaVie Advisor Dr. Alex Schauss.
Let’s take some freeze-dried acai and mix it with water (which has no ORAC value) in an attempt to make a liquid with an ORAC of 2280 per 100 grams just like MonaVie. How much acai would you need to create a liquid with 2280 ORAC per 100 grams? The required ratio is 2280 / 102,700 = .0222. This means that you need .0222 * 100g, or 2.22 grams of freeze-dried acai berry mixed with 97.78 grams of water to produce an acai berry juice with an ORAC of 2280 umol TE per 100g. If you added more freeze-dried acai to the mix it would have more ORAC than MonaVie… thus the maximum amount of freeze-dried acai is 2.22%
However, in the previous paragraph we assumed that we were mixing the freeze-dried acai with 97.88% water. MonaVie claims to not have any water in it (according to it’s label), and we can only assume that the rest of the fruit juice in MonaVie provides significantly more ORAC value (as all fruit juice does) than water. This means that there is much less than 2.22% freeze-dried acai.
Conclusion: Since MonaVie is SIGNIFICANTLY less than 2% freeze-dried acai, a wise consumer is better off focusing on what the other 98% of MonaVie is. Furthermore the consumer should be concerned that MonaVie appears to be violating FDA’s labeling laws, by listing freeze-dried acai so high on the list.
Originally posted 2010-04-25 11:09:40. Republished by Blog Post PromoterThe above article is intended to be accurate at the time of its original posting. MonaVie may change its pricing, product, or other policies at any time without notice.
This post involves:
Next: Dr. Alex Schauss and MonaVie